My Books!

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Beyond the Book: The Power of an Early Morning Walk

 “What kinds of activities do you engage in while mulling over your story lines? Have they ever helped you get over a stumbling block?”

Probably the best way I mull over my story lines is by taking a nice walk, hopefully in the morning. My best thinking is done early before the pressures and responsibilites of the day. My favorite schedule was to roll out of bed, throw on my clothes, and set out for my walk. l had a set route that I followed every day so I didn’t have to decide which way to go. I could concentrate on my book with no distractions except for one awfully steep hill that left me breathless no matter how many times I walked it. 

I’d finish my walk, and when I got home I’d brew some coffee and get my breakfast together. I’d check emails to see if I had anything to tend to, and then I got down to writing. I’d write until lunch time, and then my granddaughter and I would go to lunch. In the afternoon I’d proof what I had written and made any changes I needed to. 

I have tried working with author friends, but unfortunately all of us were too nice to each other. We were afraid we’d hurt someone’s feelings so reading each other’s work wasn’t really helpful. I gave a few pages to one of my writing friends and asked her to really tell me what I needed to do. She was so scared to say anything that she made very lightly written corrections in pencil. There weren’t many corrections either. I think for this to work you might need to work with people who weren’t your personal friends. Our Monday fox said this works great for her, and I’m glad. Wish I could make it work for myself. 

Did I ever get over any stumbling blocks while doing my walks? I really did. Naturally, I’d have to refine things when I finally sat down to write, but I those walks pushed me in the direction I needed to go.

Does anyone who writes want to share what they do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment