My Books!

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Beyond the Book: Somebody's Darling

 

Blurb:

He finally found the love of his life…

150 years after his death.

Confederate soldier Jesse Spenser died in the battle of Gettysburg in 1863, and his restless spirit has remained earthbound ever since. Usually invisible, he spends his days watching tourists visit the battlefields and fighting with his ghostly arch-nemesis, a Union soldier named Joel. 

There is one source of light and happiness in Jesse’s lonely existence.

Lucy Westbrook.

Lucy works as a waitress in a tavern in Gettysburg. Gentle and kind, she’s a vision of loveliness. Unseen, Jesse watches her work, falling more in love with each passing day.

Jesse aches to make his presence known to Lucy, but she’s terrified of the ghosts that are said to haunt Gettysburg. Gathering his nerve, he finally appears to Lucy and befriends her, letting her believe he’s a Civil War reenactor. 

Lucy grows rather fond of Jesse, looking forward to his daily visits. 

Until the day she tries to touch him…

My Review:

I enjoy sweet ghost stories, I don’t read scary ones, and books about the Civil War so when I found this one on Amazon I decided to check it out. I did enjoy the book, but it does require a voluntary suspension of disbelief. I mean who ever heard of ghosts running around in the bright sunshine in the middle of the day? I always associated ghosts with darkness. Once you get into the proper mindset the book is a nice little romance.

My favorite character was the earthbound spirit of Jesse. He fought for the South and died at Gettysburg. For one thing it made me sad to think of all the years he’d been hanging around just waiting for something to happen so he could move on. He was poor in life, but he was a gentleman in all ways. He was a gentle soul in spite of his feud with Joel a Yankee who also died at Gettysburg. I was curious why they hated each other so much now that their earthly journey had ended. It was interesting when I found out. His love for Lucy both delighted and tormented him. What future could there possibly be for a ghost and a living girl? 

Fillis, another earthbound spirit was also a favorite of mine. She had suffered during her life, but she loved all the soldiers and acted as a mother to them.

Lucy was a plucky young lady. I don’t blame her at all for being scared of the ghosts. I would be myself. I think she had a lot of courage to see Jesse after she knew the truth about him. 

The ending of the story will please many of you romance lovers out there. It’s a feel good ending that defies the natural laws of nature, but it worked well anyway.

Does anyone want to guess how things ended? I won’t tell you if you’re right or wrong, but it would be interesting to know what you guessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment