My Books!

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Beyond the Book: Feel Good Movies

 What’s your favorite feel good movie?

Okay, I have two that I’ve watched many times, and I’m still not tired of them. The first is While You Were Sleeping. This is the Amazon description of the movie. ‘Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman star in this romantic comedy about a Chicago transit worker who mistakenly leads a family to believe she’s the fiancee of their comatose son.’

Sandra Bullock is always good, but I thought she was precious in this one. She was a lonely young woman with no family who worked at a low paid, dead-end job. She developed a crush on one of the regulars who caught the train where she worked as a ticket seller. He has an accident at the station, and she goes with him to the hospital. His family is so wonderful. I could see how a lonely young person could desire to be a part of that family. The story is set at Christmas which makes her yearning for someone of her own even more poignant. The odd thing is her false fiancĂ© who’s in a coma has a wonderful brother whose company she so enjoys. To add complications, the guy in the coma really does have a fiancee who probably eats nails for breakfast. I won’t tell you anything more about the movie because I enjoyed it so much I hope you’ll want to watch it. All I can say is that it has a wonderful ending.

My second choice is Crazy From the Heart. I bet most of you never heard of it, but you can still get it on Amazon. In this movie our heroine’s biological clock is ticking down, and the school coach who she’s dated forever doesn’t really want to marry her. She finally proposes to him, and he says no. She breaks up with him, and when the new school janitor asked her out she said yes even though she knew what people would say about the high school principal dating a Mexican janitor. He takes her dancing, and they end up in Mexico and spend the weekend there. It’s glorious, but they do have to go home on Sunday to face the music. It’s just a delicious movie that will warm your heart when you see it. 

I know I said that I had two favorites, but maybe I should add a third. Have any of you ever watched The Gods Must Be Crazy? If so did you laugh as much as I did? It’s one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen. The humor isn’t very subtle. It’s right in your face which made for a rollicking, fun movie. Here’s what Amazon said about it: 

A bushman in the Kalahari encounters technology for the first time – in the shape of a Coke bottle.He takes it back to his tribe, and uses it for many tasks. The tribe start to fight over it, so he decides to return it to the Gods – where he thinks it came from. Meanwhile, we are introduced to some new characters, a school teacher assigned to a small village, and a clumsy biologist.

The movie had almost 1300 five star reviews so somebody besides me liked it too.

As you can see I like movies, but it’s been a long time since my husband and I went to see one. He isn’t a fan of the movies I like, and I don’t like the stuff he does. Maybe we can work on it.

I'd love to know everyone's favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment