My Books!

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Beyond the Book: This is Too Hard!

If you had to have a theme song what song would you pick, why? 

For me, this is a topic that’s hard to nail down. I don’t think there’s one song that’s been my theme. People change as time moves along, and their priorities change too. I thought of all the great music I’ve heard during my life time. I was just starting to like something besides children’s songs when Peter Paul and Mary came on the scene. I was simply blown away by their sound and their message. 

Next I started listening to beach music. Oh my! Even now I can listen to the Beach Boys, and I want to either dance or sing along with them. I taught some of their music to both my granddaughter and grandson. We’d drive down the road singing along with The Beach Boys. If they didn’t raise your spirits and make you happy I don’t know what would. 

I also enjoyed the Doors. Remember Light My Fire anyone? From the perspective of adulthood, the Doors are a bit controversial, but to be fair they alway were. 

I could go on forever, but it wasn’t only Pop/Rock that I liked. I was a tremendous Johnny Cash fan. In fact, not long ago I treated myself to a Johnny Cash album that was posted on YouTube. If my grandchildren hadn’t grown up I’d teach them some Johnny Cash music. Johnny sold 90 million records and ten platinum albums, which is more than the Beatles sold in the same time period. (1969) Johnny seemed like a regular guy, someone you might know, and I think that’s why people loved him. 

There is, however, one musical genre that’s had a major impact on my entire life, and that’s Southern Gospel. I always attended church regularly, and I was inspired by the music that I heard. It tells of sacrifice, love, mercy, and hope. I’ll Fly Away is one of my favorites, and so is Beulah Land, Amazing Grace, The Old Rugged Cross, and too many others to list. I like them better than most modern Christian music, but some of it is good too. I love In Christ Alone.

I guess I finally answered the question. Sounds like songs of faith might be my theme. Do you have a theme? I’d love to hear about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment