My Books!

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Beyond the Book: Motivation

How do you stay inspired to write a story set in a time and/or place that’s totally different from where you are?

For the majority of my writing career this hasn’t been an issue for me. I was always advised to write what I know, and I do think it was good advice for me. When writing what I know, I think the work sounded authentic and genuine. After my first book was published one of my reviewers said that my characters were like people he knew in the small town where he lived. I liked that very much. 

That being said, I wanted to branch out a little and try something different. My first fantasy romance was The Enchanted, and I loved writing it. I didn’t have to do any research or worry about historical details because I was creating an entirely different world. It was such fun! I enjoyed that book from start to finish. In fact I liked it so much that my current work in progress is along the same lines. My characters are in an alien place with strange creatures and primitive people. I’m loving it too. 

I’ve never written a historical romance, but I have an idea for one. It would be set after World War II, and for that I’d have to do some research. I don’t think it would bother me much because I was a history teacher for thirty five years with World War II being a time period I enjoyed studying. 

I suppose I’ve just answered the question of the week. I’d keep motivated because I loved a particular place or subject, or I had the freedom to create news worlds that ran according to my rules. 

What about you? How would you motivate yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment