My Books!

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Beyond the Book: Jane Eyre

“If you were asked to rewrite/modernize a classic novel, which one would you want to adapt?” 

To begin, i don’t really want to rewrite a classic novel. The ones I’ve read wouldn’t sound right to me if they were changed in any way. Imagine Gone With The Wind without the loyal slaves that worked at Tara, especially Mammy. Of course, slavery is wrong, but in the time period addressed by the book, slavery was a way of life in the South. Imagine Little Women set in the modern world. The norms of the nineteenth century are far different than those of today that I doubt the girls would make some of the choices they made in the book. Oh, and don’t forget A Christmas Carol. Would it be the same set in the modern world? They made a movie set in the modern world, and to me it wasn’t the same without the Dickens Victorian setting. Anyway, you get the idea.

I did however recently read an updated version of Jane Eyre. I didn’t want to read it, but it was a free book so I thought I’d give it a try. Honestly, I’m glad I did. I enjoyed the book very much. The name of it is Mrs. Rochester’s Ghost, and it’s written by Lindsay Marcott. Here’s the Amazon blurb for the book.

In a modern and twisty retelling of Jane Eyre, a young woman must question everything she thinks she knows about love, loyalty, and murder.

Jane has lost everything: job, mother, relationship, even her home. A friend calls to offer an unusual deal—a cottage above the crashing surf of Big Sur on the estate of his employer, Evan Rochester. In return, Jane will tutor his teenage daughter. She accepts.

But nothing is quite as it seems at the Rochester estate. Though he’s been accused of murdering his glamorous and troubled wife, Evan Rochester insists she drowned herself. Jane is skeptical, but she still finds herself falling for the brilliant and secretive entrepreneur and growing close to his daughter.

And yet her deepening feelings for Evan can’t disguise dark suspicions aroused when a ghostly presence repeatedly appears in the night’s mist and fog. Jane embarks on an intense search for answers and uncovers evidence that soon puts Evan’s innocence into question. She’s determined to discover what really happened that fateful night, but what will the truth cost her?

Okay, let’s see what’s the same. One, Jane is poor. Two, she gets a job taking care of a child, Three, Rochester is mysterious, and there are questions about his conduct. Four, Jane falls for him anyway. Five, evidence comes to light that makes Jane doubt Rochester. And six, Jane flees the Rochester estate. And don’t forget the ghostly apparition that haunts Jane.

Okay, what’s different. Well in the 1800s Jane was a different social class from Edward Rochester so society condemned a marriage between them. That doesn’t seem true in this book except from a woman that wants Evan for herself. Two, modern police procedures make it harder for Rochester to hide a secret, if indeed he has one. He may be totally innocent. Three, Evan isn’t as into her as she is him. Not at first at least. Four, the ending is the same, yet different. My husband can’t stand it when someone says that, but I can perfectly see how it’s true. 

I’d like to give you some real details about the book, but I hate to give too much away. I was intending to review it here anyway, and since I don’t like rewriting classics, this seemed like a good time to talk about the book. If you’re interested in reading it, it’s available at 


No comments:

Post a Comment