My Books!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors: Change Is In The Wind

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors. My excerpt today is from The Enchanted. If you're a regular visitor you know that the king sentenced his son Prince Alan to prison because he wouldn't marry a woman the king had chosen. The king has arrived at the prison to pick Alan up, but so far all he's done is express gratitude to the prison keeper, a man who beat and starved the prince. I know it looks bleak for poor Alan, but don't worry about him. Things are going to change very soon.  When you finish here, check out all the other lovely authors who're participating. http://www.wewriwa.com

Blurb:

Forced by his father into a marriage he didn’t want, Prince Alan soon finds that his bride isn’t the sweet, submissive creature he expected.  Morgane has the heart of a dragon and beauty beyond compare, but she isn’t thrilled about the marriage either.  When black treachery threatens the kingdom, Morgane and Alan embark on a perilous journey that has an excellent chance of ending in failure and death for them and all of their people.  


Excerpt:

The king stood up and walked over to Alan, whose head

hung low. "You have not made eye contact with me since you

walked into this room. You are not a prisoner anymore. Lift your

head as befits the crown prince of the realm."
 

Alan'ʹs head came up, and he stared straight ahead. The king

smiled. "You have taught him well, Keeper Kynthelig. He no longer

speaks his mind without permission."


I've taken The Enchanted on a virtual book tour.  I'm giving away a super nice prize, so if you'd like to enter to win, you can do that and find my schedule at http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/2013/07/04/virtual-book-tour-pump-up-your-book-presents-the-enchanted-virtual-book-publicity-tour/

22 comments:

  1. Oh god, what have they done to him?

    Or is it that he doesn't speak his mind without permission... yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eight, Elaine. You did such a great job of setting up the conflict between Alan and his father, the King. :-) Nice 8!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Linda and Teresa. I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "taught him well"...why do I get the feeling this involved copies amounts of pain? Terrific characterization in here. Nice 8!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That king makes me so mad. You've done a great job showing what Alan has gone through just in this blurb. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The king is about to get his when the prince is ready. Well done, Elaine. Just great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prince Alan's control is admirable. That phrase "taught him well"...is evocative. I hope the "reaps as he has sown".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, there's quite subtle tension here! Is Alan behaving that way temporarily or is it real? If it's real, does someone snap him out of it? Great 8, Elaine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well hopefully he isn't a broken man and is just biding his time, great 8.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still feeling for Alan. I hope he gets his due soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit worried for him. Poor Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh! I hate the king! Great job at eliciting those emotions in just 8 sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope they haven't totally broken him and that he mans up soon and stands up for himself. Good job. The reader really feels for the poor prince.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Alan will speak his mind without permission. I can't see him not doing so. Great, intriguing 8!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, that's a great quality in a Crown Prince.

    Methinks the king is being very short-sighted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I'm ready for the prince to break out now and show them what he's really made of! and I can't stand his father, so you've done a terrific job there, making me hate the guy LOL. Excellent excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds to me like he's learned to hide his feelings--which is all the worse for the king. By the way, I will make ONE try at a captcha. If I don't get it, you don't get a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, they've destroyed his spirit! :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dislike the king intensely. Hang in there Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this kingly father is no longer human and it gets worse each week... so much so that I'm cheering on Alan all the more. I really hope his spirit is growing stronger, underneath the subservient actions.

    Perhaps he believes he has lost his true love, and so has no reason to live? Or maybe there is a secret life growing down below the surface that is about ready to become known!

    Go Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, very subtle but intense. I definitely felt for the prince here. Great 8!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another excellent eight there.

    ReplyDelete