My Books!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sick Days

Being sick is no fun, but I've been sick for a week now. I finally saw the writing on the wall and went to the doctor on Sunday, but I had to go back yesterday because I still felt so bad. He changed my antibiotic, so I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I did a little writing, not much, I felt too bad, but here's a sample of what I'm working on.



With Rusty at her heels, she entered the corn field and started working. Lots of farmers were planting wheat now, but at present, corn seemed the best option for her. In the distance she heard Blue barking. Rusty answered and dashed away, leaving her to work alone. Humming tunelessly, it took her awhile to realize that both dogs were raising cain. She swept her hat off and wiped her forehead on her sleeve. What if there was a skunk or coyote down there? Hmm. All things considered, she’d rather have the coyote.
“Rusty,” she yelled.  “Blue.”
Both dogs raced to her, barking hysterically and almost immediately ran back to the same spot.
Pearl drew a deep breath. Guess she’d have to see what it was. Blue barked at anything that moved, but Rusty didn’t. Something was down there. She sprinted back to the dugout and grabbed Daniel’s Winchester rifle, not that she expected to use it, but in this place it paid to use caution.

Did she find something important?  Oh, yeah, but I can't tell you what it is. I'll share more about the story later.

No comments:

Post a Comment