My Books!

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Saturday Sample: Never Trust a Pretty Wolf


For the last few months I've been sharing excerpts from Turnaround Farm, but today I'm sharing from another book, Never Trust a Pretty Wolf. We'll begin with Chapter One.

Blurb:
Liesel Wolf has a secret, a dangerous secret she’ll go to any lengths to conceal. When she’s paired in a charity game with sexy marshal Andy Bryce, a man with secrets of his own, her carefully constructed world comes crashing down, and Liesel’s on a collision course with her past.


Excerpt: 
Chapter One

Last week:
Andy Bryce kicked a pink stuffed rabbit out of his way and sat down on the sofa beside his brother, Tony, but he sat on a doll that immediately squawked, “Mama.”

Andy jumped as if the sound had come from a living child. “You hurt my baby,” his niece cried. She ran over to the fruit juice stained sofa and grabbed her toy. “You have to be careful, Uncle Andy.”

She stalked from the room carrying her baby doll cradled in her arms. 

“You’ve turned pale,” Tony observed.

“That’s silly.” Andy frowned at his brother. “Why would sitting on a doll bother me?”


This week:
Tony passed a steaming cup of coffee to Andy. “You know why, and it’s a perfectly normal reaction. You aren’t Superman even though you try to be.”

“I have no idea what you mean.”

“Andy...”


Andy tried his best frown on Tony. “Look, I don’t want to 
talk about it.” 

“But...”

“If you won’t drop this topic of conversation I’m going home,” Andy warned.

Tony threw his hands up in surrender. “All right, you win. Here. Read the rules for Melton’s game. It’s for charity, you know.”

He thrust a glossy, colorful pamphlet at Andy, who scowled like a maniac. “I don’t want to participate in this thing, Tony, and you know it. If you think it’s so cool, do it  yourself.”

“Can’t.” He smirked at Andy. “Melinda’s folks are visiting us that week. If I don’t stay at home to help entertain them, Melinda will kill me.”

1 comment:

  1. Elaine, I always enjoy your snippets. This one is dozy. There is definitely trouble afoot.

    ReplyDelete