My Books!

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Beyond the Book: Many Genres



What genres do I read and why is the question we’re discussing this week. It’s a hard one for me to answer because I’ve read a lot of different genres.
I guess romance is right there at the top of the list. I like to write romance, which I don’t think I could do if I didn’t enjoy it. Romances by nature are emotional, and I do like a book that engages my emotions. Most of them have a happily ever after ending, which is so satisfying. People like to think that things can work out in our imperfect world.
I also enjoy reading alternative history. I read one book where the Nazis won World War II. It was very tense, but it did have a good ending. I guess most of us have wondered ‘what if’ at some time or other.
I used to read Stephen King and scare myself to death. I still shiver when I think of Salem’s Lot or Pet Cemetery. I can’t do that anymore, though. I don’t like being scared to go to bed.
I’ve also read a lot of young adult novels. I worked in the school system for thirty five years, and I wanted to be able to recommend something for the kids to read. I also was curious about what they were reading and liked. I read Twilight because that was what the kids were reading.
Science fiction can be fun if it doesn’t bog down in too many technological details as can cozy mysteries, dystopian fiction, westerns, and thrillers. I used Blue 52 as an example of a cross genre novel. It’s a cross between a mystery, thriller, romance with a dash of science fiction thrown in.
So, what about you? Do you have a favorite genre, or do you read all over like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment