My Books!

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Beyond the Book: When My Ship Comes In

If, suddenly, after all your years of writing, your “ship” finally came in and your titles were receiving wide acclaim (and sales… and INCOME), what would you like to do with that “positioning” to help aspiring writers? Any particular age of writers? Any particular genre?
Wow, I hope that really happens one day! Anyway I can think of several things I’d like to do.
First, I’d be available for workshops. I think that as you work on your craft you get better at it so I’d be glad to share what I’ve learned with aspiring writers. Most new writers have no idea how the publishing world really works. When I had my first book published they sent me advance reader copies that I had no idea what to do with. It would have been nice to have someone sit me down and tell me a few basics.
Second, I’d enjoy having interaction with young writers, maybe college age. I’d love to be someone’s inspiration, and if your ship really came in you’d have an inspiring story of hard work and dreams to share.
Third, writer’s retreats would be nice. It’s hard to find time to write. I used to be amazed by the number of books other authors could churn out. How did they find the time? I was a high school teacher and had a husband and children to take care of. A weekend in a nice place with lots of writing time would have been so welcome.
What about you? If you're an aspiring writer what do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment