My Books!

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors


 Today I'm still sharing excerpts from Rest Thy Head. When you finish here you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot.com to find more excerpts from a talented group of authors. First a blurb, and then an excerpt.

Blurb:

Running away from a fiancĂ© who betrayed her, Peyton O’Malley finds employment at a beautiful mountain inn called Rest Thy Head. She didn’t expect to live in the haunted room or to fall for the inn’s owner, a fire-scarred, war veteran who uses the inn to hide away from the world. She didn’t expect her sister to show up at Rest Thy Head either, much less her formidable mother.

Now, thanks to the aid of a friendly ghost, Peyton has a shot at true love, and so does her sister Ashley, provided the guys cooperate of course! 


Excerpt: In this excerpt Peyton and Jake take a group on an overnight camping trip where the subject turns to ghosts.


Mrs. Feldman slid a little closer to her husband. “Have you ever actually seen a person, I mean an apparition?”

Jake hesitated and the thoughtful look on his face made Peyton think he wasn’t trying to scare anyone now. “Maybe. Several times I’ve been outside working, and when I looked back at the inn I thought I saw a face watching me, but the moment I blinked it disappeared.”

“Why does it surprise you to see someone looking out the window?” Feldman scoffed. “You do run an inn.”

Jake struggled to explain himself. It seemed to Peyton that he wanted to understand what he’d seen as much as he wanted his guests to understand. “That’s true, but...well, it didn’t look right some way or other. I know that isn’t a good description, but it’s the best I can do.”

“Would you say that perhaps it looked a bit insubstantial?” tiny Lucille Chastain broke in.

“Yes, I think so.” He nodded. “Yeah, that’s a good description.”

Lucille smiled. “Most of the time you can see through them.”

“You sound as if you believe in ghosts,” Nanette the teacher observed.

“Oh, I do. In fact, I’ve written several books on the subject. Jake, you said you saw a swirling mist on the landing, right?”

“Yeah, that’s right.”

Her voice was so matter of fact it lent credibility to her words. “I’m not surprised. Some people think spirits take a vaporous form before they become full apparitions.”

Peyton repressed a grin when one of Jake’s men looked over his shoulder and stared into the darkness with a wary expression on his face.

7 comments:

  1. Looking over his shoulder? Ghost stories around a campfire in the dark will do that to you! I admit I've looked over my shoulder a time or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there are believers, non-believers, and some on the fence. I've seen a ghost, but it's the mirrors in the place I work that constantly have me spooked. And most of the time, it's my own reflection. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the excerpt and the discussion the characters were having, everyone being on slightly different sides of the issue. I've only ever seen one ghost. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feldman comes across like the perfect skeptic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting around the fire on an overnight camping trip is prime time for ghost stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great situation for ghost stories--great opportunity for getting closer to someone if you get scared! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like the perfect time to have this discussion, if you're a nonbeliever or a confident believer. But if you're neither, I would be spooked out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete