My Books!

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Beyond the Book: Great Recommendations

 

My question today is: what books have your children introduced you to?

My kids and I have always been big readers, and we still are. However, our tastes in literature vary tremendously. As the children grew older the differences became more pronounced. At present my older son reads heavy sci/fi, religious writings by the founders of the church, and some really technical books on computers. I don’t usually enjoy that type of book. My younger son likes to read books about history, especially biographies of famous Americans such as John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. I do like most of those, but sometimes he picks books where the details are a bit too dense for me.

Usually when they were small I found things for us to read together, but there are a few things that stand out that the boys found first. One that I remember was called The Indian in the Cupboard. In that book a small plastic Indian is locked into a metal box with a special key that transforms him into a living, breathing man from another time in history. I enjoyed seeing the friendship between the boy and the Indian develop.

Another good choice was The Velveteen Rabbit, a story about how toys become Real. I loved this one so much I bought one for my granddaughter when she came along.

Another really cute one was Bunnicula. In this story Harold the dog and Chester the cat are suspicious of the new family pet, a bunny with unusual habits and fangs. They decide he is a vampire and set out to save the family from Bunnicula.

My students at school often recommended books to me. One author they liked was Cynthia Voigt, who was a Newberry award. They also recommended Twilight to me. I read Cynthia Voigt and Twilight as well.

What about you? Have you possibly read anything my children recommended?

No comments:

Post a Comment