My Books!

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors


 Welcome to Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors. Today I'm sharing  excerpts from Return Engagement, my first book about the Lovinggood family. I've already shared some of the first part of the book so I'll be doing a little jumping around. First a blurb, then that excerpt. Oh, and on Sunday when you finish here go to www.wewriwa.blogspot.com for more excerpts from a talented group of authors.

Blurb:

Elizabeth Lane is one lucky woman. She has it all-money, fame, a satisfying career and a devoted fiancé. Her humble beginnings are all but obscured, but she isn't the kind of woman Senator Henry Lovinggood wants for his son, Richard. Senator Lovinggood plans to make Richard the President of the United States; he'll need a woman from a wealthy, powerful family by his side. Ten years ago the senator broke Richard and Elizabeth up, but this time it won't be so easy, for Elizabeth wants to know what might have been. This time she'll fight back, a struggle which ultimately leads to kidnapping and attempted murder and alienates her from the man of her dreams.


Last Weeks Excerpt:

I don’t know what to do,” she cried. “Sometimes I ache to see Richard. I think about his smile, and it makes me feel warm inside. I think about the funny things he’ll say, and it makes me laugh. Sometimes I think about his hands. He has such a gentle touch.” Elizabeth paused and her voice went soft and dreamy. “But most of all, I think about how he looks at me. He looks at me with his heart in his eyes, and I see that...

“Last night Alex asked me to marry him. What am I going to do about that?”

“Nothing,” exclaimed Mrs. Lane a trifle too loudly. “You’re obviously not in any shape to make a decision like that. Don’t you dare make any sort of commitment to Alex, not until you’ve seen Richard anyway.”



This week's excerpt:

“Maybe I should call him and thank him for my gifts. That would be the polite thing to do,” Elizabeth decided. Her face paled, flushed, and paled again.

“That’s a good idea,” approved Mrs. Lane as Cathy bobbed her head in agreement.

The phone rang just as Elizabeth reached for it; her heart leaped. It had to be Richard!

Her heart fell when she heard Alex’s voice. “Elizabeth, if you aren’t busy why don’t I pick up a pizza and come over?” 

Elizabeth felt as if someone had thrown a glass of cold water in her face, shocking her back to reality. “Yes, of course. Come on over. About six-thirty? All right. ’Bye.” 

Cathy sighed. “Alex?”

“ Y es, Alex. I’ll call Richard later . ”

Mrs. Lane disapprovingly shook her head. “You need to see Richard, not Alex.”

Available at http://amzn.to/1SMhEEk


5 comments:

  1. Listen to your elders, girl! Time to make the right decision, not just the easy, convenient one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she needs to quit playing both of them and make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh? Why call Richard later? If Alex isn't coming around just yet why not call Richard NOW? I want to reach through the screen and shake some sense into her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty much out of sympathy with her! She needs to talk to Richard, not string Alex along. But you've certainly made me care! Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She knows she needs to see Richard. Her mother needs to smack some sense into her, this minute. If I were reading this on my Kindle, i'd be shaking it right now! LOL But the snippet was great to get such a reaction out of me.

    ReplyDelete