My Books!

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

 Recently, I started a new book. I don't have a title or blurb for it, and I'm in the process of figuring out where I want to go with it. I thought I'd share the beginning with you, though. 

On Sunday when you finish here you can find more excerpts from a variety of talented authors at www.wewriwa.blogspot.com

So, here we go. First page of the latest WIP.


Late afternoon. The Isle of Palms hung suspended between the ordinary hustle and bustle of the day and the blue calm of the evening. The tide had come in so the beach house was closer to the ocean than it was in the morning. Rhett parked his car in the driveway and stared at the house in front of him. 

He had lived in this place his entire life, although not in this particular house. Hurricane Hugo came along in 1989 and destroyed the first residence, but his parents had rebuilt in the same place. The current home was built on big pillars sunk deep into the ground and had three stories. Big, wraparound porches could be accessed from each of the three stories. A little cupola sat on top of the house. The Landers’ first home had been painted pale blue, but his mother had chosen white for this one.

Long shadows across the ocean mimicked Rhett’s mood as he slowly dragged himself out of his car. Coming home at the end of a long session in Washington always thrilled him, but tonight… Drawing a deep breath, he ignored the majesty of the sea and the fresh-smelling, salty breeze and went inside. 

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful description of the scene--I'd sure like to be there--and just enough about his mood to pique the reader's interest. Well done opening! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! You've created wonderful visuals and moods here. My interest is piqued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful description in this opening! Though sounds like he's home for a more somber reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it, felt as though I was there with him thanks to all the great details. Excellent excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great details in this. I enjoyed the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete