My Books!

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Beyond the Book: Book Review of the Tempe Crabtree Series

Book Blurb:

A candidate for princess is murdered at a Native American pow wow while Tempe Crabtree is working there in her capacity as deputy. Tempe’s investigation takes her onto the Bear Creek Indian Reservation. Her search for the killer puts her job in jeopardy, strains her marriage, and almost gets her killed.

My Review

Tempe Crabtree is a deputy in the small community of Bear Creek. She’s part native American, but she doesn’t know much about her heritage. Her first husband was a state trooper who was killed in the line of duty. She has one son who was two when her husband died. He’s a teenager now. Tempe recently married the minister of Bear Creek’s church.

Deadly Omen is the first book in the Tempe Crabtree mystery series. There are a total of 19 books in the series. The books aren’t too long, most seem to be around 225 pages, and they are easy, quick reads. They seem well written and well edited even though I did find a couple of mistakes. Nothing much and certainly nothing to pull you out of the story. From the beginning of the book I liked Tempe and her family. I also liked the way she portrayed Bear Creek. It sounds like it would be a nice place to live even though people do seem to get murdered a lot. The other characters in the book are very nicely done as well. I enjoyed that the author blended in some Native American traditions. I felt that it added to Tempe’s story and made her even more fleshed out. Once I get started on one of the Tempe Crabtree books I’m in a hurry to find out who the murderer really is, so I keep turning pages when I should be doing something else. 

If you’re a fan of what amounts to a cozy mystery, I highly recommend this series. I think I’m on book 7 now. Do you like the sound of the series? Is it anything you think you’d enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment