My Books!

Saturday, June 4, 2022

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors


 Welcome to my blog. Today I'd like to share an excerpt from my all time favorite book Blue 52. On Sunday when you finish here you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot.com for more excerpts from a talented group of authors. 

Blurb:

First Lady Kills President Lovinggood" 

December 5, 2018 

Thirty years later, Hank Lovinggood embarks on a quest to prove his mother's innocence and punish the killers who took his family from him. Together Hank and lovely physicist Dr. Kathryn Sinclair confront an implacable, twisted, and merciless enemy who'll do whatever it takes to hide the truth forever.


Last Week's Excerpt: 

Hank shut his bedroom door behind him and threw himself down on the sofa that rested near the window. He had expected this news for some time. The Flash Train could transport both people and goods economically and quickly. Of course the state would move a cemetery to make room for the train.

The small picture of his mother and father that stood on the end table beside the sofa captured his attention and made him think of his grandfather’s study. Until a few months ago, pictures of his father filled every available inch of the study. It had reminded Hank of a shrine, a shrine his grandfather had created for his lost son.

The senator had removed most of the pictures after his grandmother threw a tremendous tantrum that sent her to the emergency room, but he still looked at them when she wasn’t around. I didn’t like looking at the pictures. Why be constantly reminded of all I’ve lost?

He had been three years old when his parents died, so he didn’t remember much about them, but he still felt their loss with every breath he took. Why wouldn’t he? That dreadful tragedy cast a long shadow. His jaw clenched. It hurt like hell to know that in his grandfather’s eyes, he couldn’t measure up to his father.

The senator had never even hinted that he believed such a thing, but he’d have to be brain dead not to pick up on it.

Today's Excerpt: 


6 comments:

  1. A lot of unresolved issues here and that comes through brilliantly. This poor guy is never going to move ahead until he cuts those ties to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be really jarring, to see your family in yourself, even after they're gone. He has lots to deal with. A great excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's scary to see your parent's face in the mirror! I see my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's let the past control his life. He needs to get it resolved before he can move on. I often see my grandmother when I look in the mirror. Spooky, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one time I looked in the mirror and saw my dad in my face I was really spooked. No wonder he wants to clear out the past. But will he actually do it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great snippet! I feel so bad for him, he's having such a hard time moving on it seems.

    ReplyDelete