My Books!

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Beyond the Book: Where Would You Go?

“If you could live anywhere in the world with no expenses to consider, where would you live? Why?”

As a teacher of geography for thirty five years I’ve thought a lot about this question. Each time we started to study a new region of the world I’d focus on the map and evaluate what it might be to live there. And for the record, I still adore looking at maps. I bought a huge wall mural (wallpaper), intending to put it on my wall in a blank hallway. I never put it up, though, because it didn’t show political divisions. 

So what did I learn about where I’d like to live? 

Okay, first I think you’d have to be aware of the type of government you’d be dealing with. After growing up in a democracy, I don’t want anything to do with dictators. 

Second, I’m not much good at languages so I’d want the main language to be English. 

Third, I like modern technology. I don’t want to live without my computer, microwave, etc. 

Fourth, I have some health issues so I need to be close to modern medical care.

Okay, what else would influence my decision? My family is the very top of the list. I like living near them. Just yesterday my son stopped by, and we spent a couple of hours talking and laughing. I love them all very much, and I have no desire to live without them. I have some very good friends that I’d hate to leave too. My life is fuller because they’re in it.

I don’t think I want to live any place where the weather is extreme. It snowed here over the weekend, and its almost gone, but I still can’t get out to walk, and I hate that.

I’ve always lived in smaller towns so for a short while I’d probably like a big city, but for the long run I doubt it. I’m the kind of person who needs some quiet time for herself. I don’t know if you could find that as well in a large city.

I love the ocean, but there’s nothing like a beautiful mountain top. It would be hard to choose between them.

So, where’s my favorite place to live? Right here in upstate South Carolina. I was born here, and even though I have lived in other places, there’s really no place like home. Everything I ever wanted is here or close by. The only drawback I can see is the humidity in the summer, but we have great air conditioners so no problem. I feel very lucky to live in a place that fulfills my wish list and makes my heart happy. 

If I did have to move somewhere else, I’m sure I could make a life there too, but I hope I never have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment