My Books!

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Weekend Writing Warriors

Saturday Sample and Weekend Writing Warriors

 Today I'm continuing with my current WIP. There's nothing much to tell you about the book yet because you've already heard most of what I have written so far. On Sunday when you finish here, you can go to www.wewriwa.blogspot to find more excerpts from a talented group of authors.


Last week:

She folded her arms across her middle and stared out the window where the spring flowers she’d lovingly planted glowed in shades of red, yellow, and pink. “It was only one night,” he said. “I was in Washington, and I was so damn lonesome for you I couldn’t stand it. I met her at a party given by Senator Ryan. She…she looked a lot like you. At the end of the evening she was going to call a cab, but I offered her a ride home, and …”

“Please stop now.” Her voice was quiet, polite, remote. 

“I can’t, Alex. You have to know.”

“I believe I’ve gotten the picture.” 

“I doubt it.”

What was that expression on her face? Disdain? Fear? 

She licked her lips and said, “I thought you spent too much time in Washington, and now I know why. You’re visiting your mistress and your son.” 

Was she kidding? “I go to Washington because I’m in the senate. You know that. I told you we were only together one time.  I had no idea she got pregnant. I didn’t know about the boy until a week ago.”

She was shaking now, her face paper-white. “Excuse me,” she whispered and stumbled toward the door, but she couldn’t leave yet. Not until she heard it all. “There’s more.”


This week's excerpt:


She froze and looked so stiff he feared she’d shatter if he touched her. “The woman died of cancer three weeks ago. Her parents are too old to keep the boy, so they called me to see if I wanted him.” 

Horror washed over her face. She knew what he was going to say. 

He drew a deep breath and said it. “I can’t let my son be adopted by strangers. I’m going back to Washington on Thursday to pick him up. “

Nodding, she tripped over her own feet in her hurry to get away from him. “Wait,” he begged. He wasn’t a man who begged, but he’d do it now and be happy for the chance. “I’m sorry. So sorry. I’ve never done a thing like that before or since, and if there was any way to undo it I would. I love you more than my own life, and I betrayed you. That hurts me almost as much as it’s hurt you. You’re my whole world, and I’ve torn your heart out.” His hands fisted. “But even for you I can’t give him up.”

7 comments:

  1. At least he's honorable about his betrayal . . . and a child should never have to suffer for it. But dang, what a situation to put her in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he's definitely experiencing the consequences of his actions here, but I feel for the child and his wife in this situation. They're innocent, yet deeply affected by his mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! When he said there's more, he really meant it. What a situation to drop on his wife like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So difficult for everyone. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely heart-wrenching! Excellent writing, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow. Such a heart-wrenching scene. He's miserable (as he should be for betraying her) yet he has to do his duty by his son. What a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And just when you think it can't get worse...This is going to be an untenable situation for the wife, not to mention the child. He's right to want to take care of the child, but I think he perhaps could have managed the revelation a bit better if he wanted her cooperation. Fabulous snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete