My Books!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Beyond the Book: 1950's Recipes

Hello, and welcome to Beyond the Book, Elaine's attempt to let you know what your favorite characters are up to after the book ends. My name is Liesel Wolf, and I was Elaine's heroine in Never Trust a Pretty Wolf. My husband and I live in a midcentury modern home built in 1955, so I got interested in the fifties.  Last week I shared a meat loaf recipe from the fifties, and today I'll share a recipe for ham salad. My grandmother loved to shop, and one of the department stores that she liked had a coffee shop that served wonderful ham salad sandwiches. She asked them how they made their ham salad, and to her surprise, they said it was made of Treet. If you don't know what that is, it's like Spam, just a different brand of canned meat. Anyway, this is how they made ham salad.

1 can Treet chopped fine
India relish to taste
mayonaise to taste
salt, not much

That's it. They served the sandwichs on toasted white bread. Were they good? I have to admit, they were. Maybe I'll make some for Andy. Won't he be surprised to be served a meal from the fifties?

No comments:

Post a Comment