My Books!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Saturday Sample: Blue 52


Welcome to Saturday Sample. For the past few weeks I've been sharing samples from Blue 52. So far we've learned that President Richard Lovinggood was murdered by his wife who then committed suicide. Their son Hank was raised by his grandfather Senator Henry Lovinggood. A new high speed train is coming through the cemetery where President Lovinggood is buried, and Hank has made plans to open the coffins once they are disinterred so he can see his parents. My heroine Kathryn Sinclair was introduced last week. She's bringing a pizza to have lunch with her uncle who is a funeral home director. She's surprised to see so many cars bearing government license plates in the parking lot.

Kathryn grabbed the arms of the chair she had just taken to keep herself from jumping up and running to her car. “Everyone knows the bodies at Knollwood will have to be moved for the Flash Train, but why is the president’s body being brought here?”

Ira told her. “I don’t blame the boy. I’d want to see them too.”

“I suppose so,” Kathryn answered even though she didn’t know if she’d look or not. Her parents had died ten years ago in a car crash. Looking at their dead bodies now seemed a little ghoulish.

She only nibbled at her lunch. As soon as she decently could, she excused herself and hurried to her car. Thank goodness her lab was only ten minutes away. She had a phone call to make and wanted to do it on a secure line.

Reaching the lab, she parked her car in her reserved space. She found her purse under the passenger’s seat where it had fallen and dashed into her office, stopping dead in her tracks when she saw the short, blocky man who waited for her. “Mr. Curtis! I was going to call you.”

His lips quirked. “I saved you the trouble.”

“I guess you know what I was going to tell you.” 


“About the president going to Sinclair’s? Yes.”

It didn’t surprise Kathryn to find he already knew. At the last 
reckoning, Bill Curtis was the richest man in the world. His money could buy information as well as merchandise.

Curtis shifted in his chair. He had one of the hard plastic ones that Kathryn never used. “Are you still satisfied that the equations are correct, Kathryn?”

“Yes, sir. I’m sure. The entire team has gone over them time and time again. We’re all in agreement.”
“Then I think it’s time to make our move.” Curtis almost purred with satisfaction. “After viewing his parents’ remains, I think Hank Lovinggood will be quite receptive to our proposition. The Lovinggoods will be re-interred on November twenty-fourth, which is a Tuesday. Set up an appointment with Hank for Wednesday or Friday. We can’t bother him on Thanksgiving Day.”

Kathryn’s eyes widened. “Me? Don’t you want to talk to him yourself?”

“Of course I do.” Curtis chuckled. “But I think it’s best for you to make the initial contact. A beautiful woman will make Lovinggood sit up and take notice of what she has to say.”

Kathryn tucked a stray lock of dark hair behind her ear. “I hope he won’t think I’m some bimbo nut case.”

Curtis laughed. “If he does, I’m sure you’ll be able to change his mind.”

Kathryn hoped so. She had devoted her entire professional life to Curtis’s pet project. If they succeeded, she’d be in the history books alongside Albert Einstein. And she’d have the satisfaction of righting a dreadful wrong. 

Blue 52 is available at Amazon and at Whiskey Creek Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment