My Books!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Unlikely Angel


UNLIKELY ANGEL

by Genie Gabriel

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

BLURB:

 
A child psychiatrist running from violence and a former bodyguard grieving the wife he couldn't save form an unlikely alliance to rescue her kidnapped children. In a crumbling mine tunnel on Christmas Eve, their lives depend on a mutt rescued from the streets, a determined mother and an Unlikely Angel.


EXCERPT:


While Mitch set the tree in the stand, Julia gathered supplies for ornaments and explained to the twins what they were going to do. The twins were delighted, as they hadn’t been allowed to touch the fussy tinsel and glass ornaments on the tree in the West Hills house. Just one more reminder of how suppressed her children’s joy had been. Julia much preferred this homemade Christmas tree.

 
The tiny apartment soon became littered with scraps of paper, as loops of red and green chains took shape. The popping of corn rattled a cheerful accompaniment to the giggles of the twins as Julia brought another bowl of popcorn for Mitch to add to the string the dog snitched pieces from.

 
“Why don’t you just give him some popcorn?” Julia asked.

 
“He won’t eat it except off the string.” Mitch threw a disgusted look toward the dog. “It must be a new game.”

 
Julia turned away to hide her smile. The tree was shaping up beautifully, even if Angelina insisted on hanging all her handmade ornaments on the same three branches. “Anyone want refills on hot chocolate?”

 
When Julia returned from the kitchen, the room had grown quiet.

 
“Your helpers are asleep,” Mitch said.

 
The twins lay curled like cherubs next to the dog beneath the spreading limbs of the now decorated tree.

 
“Do you want to move them to bed?” Mitch asked.

 
Julia nodded. Soon the twins were settled in their beds for the night.

 
“Sometimes I just want to watch my children.” Julia’s heart swelled with joy as she gazed at Abraham and Angelina. “If I could have one thing for Christmas, I’d ask for my children to be safe.”

 
Julia and Mitch lapsed into silence for a moment, absorbing the innocence of the twins as they slept. “What would you ask for, Mitch?”

 
Mitch stared at Julia for a moment longer. His gaze caressed every inch of her face and finally settled on her mouth. “A kiss from you.”





I'm an optimist whose rose-colored glasses have bent frames and cracked lenses. When life kicks me in the teeth, I find miracles and lessons I refused to learn an easier way. In fact, I live with a small herd of miracles in the furry forms of dogs, who are constantly trying to teach me to forgive, to play more, and to love without limits. I write about people who find courage and integrity in the darkest times of their lives, who rescue stray dogs and kittens, who find a person they would willingly give their lives for, and who make their little corners of the world a better place. People have remarked my stories "aren't what they expected." With rose-colored glasses firmly in place, I take that as a compliment. I invite you to share a piece of my world in the pages of a book, and hope you find some surprises, some tears, some laughter, and always a happy ending.

 

My Web site: http://www.GenieGabriel.com

 
 
 
 
"Hey, Elizabeth, what's she giving away?"
 
"Nikki!  What a question."
 
"Why are you scolding me? You know how much I love contests."
 
"Yeah, I do. Okay, she's giving away a $25 dollar Amazon gift certificate."
 
"Yippee!  I hope I win. Where do I go to find her schedule. I want to comment at every blog she visits."
 
 

 

6 comments:

  1. What fun to be hosted by two characters who have taken over a blog! Many thanks to Elizabeth and Nikki for hosting me while Elaine takes a vacation!

    And speaking of vacations--do you take a vacation over the winter holidays?

    I have to admit I try to stay pretty close to home on holidays. Don't like driving on crowded freeways. But please share where you go if you do vacation.

    I'll be back throughout the day to vacation vicariously through commenters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heading to Colorado for the holidays to visit my daughter. Wonderful Book Blast. Thank you, Hope-Dreams-Life, for hosting.
    info at caroleavila dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you'll have Christmas with your daughter, Carole! Have a safe and wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the clock has struck midnight in my corner of the world and my doggies are snuggled in their beds. I will ask one of them to draw a name for the $25 gift card tomorrow and contact the winner privately, then post the name on my web site and on my Rock'n'Romance blog .

    Many thanks to Elaine, Elizabeth and Nikki at Hope. Dreams. Life... Love for hosting me today, and to everyone who stopped by and commented. Happy holidays to all!

    ReplyDelete