My Books!

Friday, August 1, 2014

Saturday Sample

Today's sample is from an old manuscript that I'm working on right now. It needs lots of help, so if you see anything, let me know. In this excerpt, my heroine makes a bet that has long lasting repercussions. Susan is an English teacher, and Kurt is the football coach at the local high school.

“Oh, I don’t think that’s the problem at all.” Susan smiled her most serene smile at her irritating colleague.  “You just don’t know how to attract a man like Kurt.”
Robin’s eyebrows shot straight up.  “And you do?  If that’s true why haven’t you already gone out with him?  Don’t tell me you wouldn’t be interested.  He’s hot.”
“Until recently I was involved with someone else.  I wasn’t interested in seeing Kurt or any other man socially.”
“Well, I think you’re full of it,” Robin sniffed.  “If I couldn’t get him to notice me, I know you can’t.”
Around the faculty lounge a murmur of delightfully horrified voices broke out.
Susan finished her soft drink and tossed the can into a nearby recycling bin.  “I could make Kurt ask me out if I wanted to.”
“Yeah?  Prove it.  Get him to ask you out.  I’ll bet you fifty dollars you can’t do it,” Robin taunted.  “All he’s interested in is football.”
Melissa Taylor, Susan’s best friend cleared her throat.  “How long does she have to do it?”   

“Two weeks ought to be enough for an old pro like Susan.” Robin snickered as her gaze swept around the lounge.  “Would any of the rest of you like to get a piece of the action?”

Picture: By Patriarca12 (Own work) [CC-BY-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment